Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Hands Full of Glitter and Tofu : 2011 Day 242 - Private Viewing of the It Gets Better video

Today is the day I get to view the completed video and I am nervous, and excited all at once.

Nervous because I have no idea how what I said will come across, and if I will be comfortable seeing it (which is odd since very little makes me truly nervous these days but it makes sense I guess since what I am sharing is so personal, and it will splashed across the internet for all to see), and because I am meeting all the other people who contributed their life stories (we were filmed separately so I didn't see them then) for the first time at the same time as I am hearing them share such deep personal stuff. It's the complete reversal of social norms, and should prove very interesting. It is possible we will bond instantly after watching it.

Excited because if there's one cause I champion, and truly believe in, it's this one. I was told for years I was worthless, perverted, immoral etc simply because I was gay, and teased on soul-excoriating scale at the same time, and while I didn't contemplate suicide, I constantly hated myself, and felt I had failed in some way to live up to expected norms. Coming out freed me from this, and released to be who I truly am (and find the love of my life) and I want to celebrate that, and underscore to teenagers under the harsh glare of merciless judgement, that life does get better. It isn't ajust a slogan; it's very real.

Can't wait for 2.30 and the viewing....



Well I have viewed the video along with all the Sydney based contributors (some of the people involved were in Melbourne) and I am in awe of the powerful, amazing things my fellow contributors had to say! It was a privilege to hear them share so many truly special parts of their lives, both the good and bad, as we all stood together watching the short video ( it's about 7 minutes or so in length). I ended up featuring quite a bit which surprised me, not because I don't think that what I shared had value but because everyone else really shared deeply of themselves too.


The video goes live in about a month and I think it will be one of the proudest days of my life to be a part of something that matters so much to me and I can only hope that our small contribution touches some lives somewhere and reminds everyone that it does get better!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older