Monday, December 21, 2009

Project 289 - Day 279 : On The 8th day of Andrew's Christmas, I Decorated the Tree With....




I bought my first Smurf at a petrol station in Lismore as part of a promotion back in the late 70s, when they were something like $1 with each petrol purchase. As luck would have it, Dad's car needed petrol reasonably regularly so I ended up with a great collection of Smurfs, many of which were later sold off on Ebay which I realised you could get money for them. Thus began the semi-selling off of my childhood!



But I digress..... It was on Ebay that I realised I could buy Smurfs as Christmas ornaments and so began another mini-mania....tracking down as many of them as I could, a task in which I largely succeeded if the representative three here are any indication. Successful or otherwise in my consumer Smurf mania, the fact is they added just a little bit of my childhood, and their own place in the pop culture firmament to the tree, and I liked that....


*************************************

Tonight I finally made it back down to The Sutherland Shire where I used to live for dinner at GPKs (gourmet pizzas) in Westfield Miranda, with wonderful long standing friends, John & Susie, and Ellen, and Tracy (housemates). John & Susie and I traditionally do a Christmas get together/ present exchange but it's usually at John & Susie's place, with Susie's tree decked out in glowing lights and pop culture ornaments just like mine (my cast offs found a new appreciative home with her), but this time we took on the road, and had a lot of fun!


I miss these guys and we definitely need to catch up more often!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older