Thursday, April 23, 2009

Project 289 - Day 37 : It's What Southerners in the USA Call "Little Friday", and I am Thrilled to be Here!

I am hoping today will be a quiet-ish day at work.

Not that any day in my line of work is truly quiet, and frankly I'd be bored rigid if frenetic wasn't the prevailing vibe. But just occasionally, a day where nothing needs to be corrected desperately quickly in Outlook, or a document rushed somewhere, or lunches bought in a hurry, is bliss, and I am hoping for one of those days. I really am. It's highly unlikely I'll get it, although if the Greeks or Hindus have a god of the office, then I may just pray to them, and see if that elicits anything! What power they must have though if they do answer, to control Outlook? Not even Microsoft has worked that out yet!!

Stay tuned for the update at the end of the day! (Yes I know coping with the suspense will be hard but take a Xanax if you must, read "Who Weekly" and check back later!)

**********************************************************

By the way, I have just sailed over the 100 posts mark in my blog. That's some kind of milestone (kilometer-stone? LOL) isn't it? At the very least, it deserves a party!! Or chocolate. Definitely lots of chocolate! Well at least I have that in abundance.

**********************************************************
24 hours later.....

Well, the day wasn't exactly 8 Strawberry daiquiris, a paperback novel, and a buffet lunch by the pool (with optional canoodling, and possibly more, with the bartender) but it was quieter than usual, and I managed to catch up on a ton of things that I had been wanting to get done for ages. While not exactly the most thrilling of days, there is something psychically satisfying in clearing away pieces of paper that have been mocking you for your inability to give them attention and send them on their way. (Yes apparently I attract sentient malevolent manipulative paperwork, every office worker's greatest fear, mainly because it signals sanity has truly disappeared in the vortex of busy schedules and insane deadlines!) So the inbox was tamed, pretty much everything actioned, and I left on the 5 pm bus to the City for drinks and a spot of stimulus package shopping with my friend, Waz....


We are both shopping addicts (Kevin Rudd should be giving the gays the right to marry purely out of gratitude for cushioning Australia from the Global Financial Crisis! Goodness knows we are more than doing our part!!) and after wandering through Virgin Music and JB HiFi, and picking 1 to 200 DVDs and CDs, I bought the magazines shown in the photo above, which are among my most ridiculous but fun indulgences. Both "Entertainment Weekly" ($12.95 an issue) and "The Advocate" ($14.95 an issue) are flown in from the USA, and really, while priced well in the USA, are over priced here in Australia. But I love reading them, and along with "DNA", and "Empire", form the Holy 4 of my magazine consumption each month. My rationalisation for spending $40 on 3 mags is that I don't do drugs. barely drink, don't smoke, so buying a few over priced mags (along with the occasional Pepsi Max) is not too bad a vice!

Plus I get 'learned' on entertainment news, and gay issues respectively, and you can't put a price on that. Well I am sure VISA and Mastercard can but that's a whole other story....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older