Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Hands Full of Glitter and Tofu : 2011 Day 208 - My Guy's Birthday! Yeah!

I am a birthday junkie, which means my own birthday becomes an event that bestrides the globe swamping all before it...


... and this self same epic mentality extends to those nearest and dearest to me, whether they like it or not. Just kidding! If they don't like it, I do respect that, and don't push it. But generally, people like to be appreciated in some form or another on their birthday, and so I make sure that happens in the most fun, affirming way possible.


This is especially so when it comes to my beautiful man - my best friend, partner, lover, all the very best things in life (yes I know that mushy but I am channelling Hallmark right now...it shall stop shortly). Today was very special.











We woke up together after he stayed the night, and even though it was a rush getting out to work in time, we managed to find some time to celebrate the start of his birthday. Through the day I sent him some e-cards and fun texts to keep the fun going even as he worked on his tax and a few other decidedly non celebratory things. Then we met up at my palce at 5.45, he opened his presents, which he loves doing, and which is always fun because I make sure the presents are presented in the best way possible, and make an event of getting the gift (yes we gays do know how to make a fabulous statement, tis true). It was an absolute blast watching him open each gift and realise how much thought had gone into the gift selections. I am walsy paying attention to what he likes, and it's a delight to see that my choices of what to get him, after I have winnowed down what I have seen him appreciate/lookat/enjoy, are met with such appreciation because after all, the gifts are there to make him feel special, happy and valued, which he is.

Off on the train then to the City to dinner at Spice Temple restaurant, whcih handily has located itself mere minutes from Circular Quay. From the moment we stepped through the very funky LCD screen door, and descended the candlelit steps into the restaurant, the service was sublime. They greeted us warmly, stowed our coats and scarves away, asked if we'd like to sit in the bar before going to the table - we opted to do just that and had a lovely Year of the Rabbit cocktail (granny smith apple, jasmine soda, hendricks gin, citrus) each - before being shown to our table in what appears at first to be a totally dark, almost empty but candlelit restaurant but turns out to be a busy restaurant packed to the rafters with a single downlight illuminating each table. This meant that even in a booked out restaurant Steve and I felt like we were alone in our very own cafe, secluded even from the people next to us. Which is exactly what we wanted on a special night like this.














The food was off the charts delicious. From the entrees - Fried salt and pepper silken tofu on a spicy coriander salad, and Northern style lamb and fennel dumplings (with a yummy chilli paste) - to the mains - Shredded duck with dried chestnuts and black fungi and pixian chilli paste and fried tofu, and stir fried prawns, with salted duck eggs and four chillies, and the vegetable side dish, stir fried wild bamboo, snow peas, and quail eggs with ginger and garlic - and the desserts - mango pudding for me, and a peanut & caramelised chocolate parfait, we were in heaven. The servings were generous too, which is unusual in these restaurants where small is seen as trendy. We were so full by the end, and with the cocktails and wine added in, were more than satisfied. They even delivered a cupcake with a candle with the desserts. Now that's attention to detail especially as I only mentioned it was my partner's birthday in passing when booking.


I a mightily impressed, so impressed by this restaurant, and even more so because their wonderful service on every level meant the man I love and adore had a very special day, which is all I wanted for him. (He did say to me on the way home that he'd love me even if I did nothing for him, which made my heart melt; but it's still lovely to spoil him and on today of all days even more so!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older