Monday, February 21, 2011

Hands Full of Glitter and Tofu : 2011 Day 51 (Sunday 20 February 2011) - The Fair-est Day of Them All

Ridiculously hot humid weather after a couple of weeks of reasonably cool temperatures?

It must be the weekend of Fair Day, held in Victoria Park, Chippendale (near Broadway), that is the official launch of the Mardi Gras festival (a day that attracts weird weather - extreme heat or rain - like it's going out of fashion). This year, like all years, it was packed to the brim with stalls showcasing gay sporting clubs, businesses, media and goods, hot looking men (especially the underwear model below - WOOF!!), lots of good friends that we caught up with, great entertainment, and an inclusive, warm, friendly vibe.





My gorgeous guy talking to Ian and Bill, with whom we usually decorate up a storm!

The gang - Ingo, Jonathan, Ian, myself and Warren (Peter unfortunately couldn't make it, home sick with a migraine, poor guy)

Close friends Ingo, Jonathan, my yummy guy, Ian and Warren

My gorgeous guy (far yummier than anyone there as far as I am concerned), Tuan, myself, Thai and Serafin (who I used to worth with)

With good friend, Luke, who sets up a blue tarp each year under the trees. (You can see the blue and white towel that was the only thing standing between me and being soaked in sweat.)



Our celebrity moment - Matthew Mitcham, gay diving Olympian at, of all stands, the Telstra stand.

YUM!




As usual, though I threatened to melt into the baking ground, we had a ball, although this year, due to all sorts of time constraints, we didn't decorate our tent in the campest manner possible, nor dress up to a theme like last year, when we were all dressed up as toys, or the year before when we masqueraded as characters from Alice in Wonderland. While I missed the fun of going all out, and camping it up with all the colour and glitz a pack of gay boys can manage (and the media attention this often brings us), I did enjoy just sitting back with good friends, eating some yummy food, staying in the shade, and chilling out with my gay brothers and sisters, before just getting up and walking out the gate to a very welcome cool shower, and a delicious dinner with close friend Fahmi and my guy at Stir Crazy Thai, Erskineville.



I am a great believer that a break from something you enjoy doing revitalises the activity, and so I have no doubt that next year we will back bigger, brighter and gayer than ever with an outrageously fabulous costumed Fair Day extravaganza.

Watch out Sydney - you have been warned!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older