Friday, February 18, 2011

Hands Full of Glitter and Tofu : 2011 Day 49 : A World Without BORDERS?

Fear not, this is not some treacle-laced Hallmark-cute 'It's a Small World After All' musing on a world where everyone is one and there are no divisions, heartaches, pain, or strife.... yes I think I hear Stevie Wonder itching to sing a song about it too.....


What it is a musing on the way this world is going when it comes to retail experiences. When I heard today that BORDERS USA and Australia, and Angus & Robertson (owned by REDgroup which also owns BORDERS), a 125 year old Australian bookstore chain, had gone into receivership, it horrified me nto just I love shopping in BORDERS but because it signalled the possible beginning of the end of bricks and mortar retailing for items like CDs, books and DVDs, all of which I consume in great quantity, and all of which I love buying after languidly browsing in a large or small bookstores, and music stores. The idea that those sorts of sorts may disappear is a bleak prospect since it would rob me of a wonderful environment to lose myself in.

Of course the less than exciting retail stores will soldier on like hardware stores and supermarkets, but I can't see myself being lots for hours in the middle of Bunnings. Some people love it true, but I am not one of those people.


One glimmer of hope was that many analysts and independent bookstore owners said that the BORDERS business model was the main reason the chain ran into trouble, and not the spin management cited currency exchange issues, and growth in online purchases, and that many stores are doing quite nicely thank you very much. I hope that is the case since while I know fun shopping is not the most important thing in the world, it is an enjoyable way to spend some time, and one that I enjoy.

Somehow the online world doesn't hold quite the same appeal, much as I love it....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older