Saturday, April 17, 2010

365 Pink Feather Boas All in a Row - Day 107: It's a Bird! It's a Kangaroo....It's a Zara!

TOP: The entrance to Currumbin Wildlife Park
BOTTOM: Me, Nanna and my gorgeous guy, Steve

Today was a most excellent, if exhausting, day.


TOP: Helen holds Zara as she oohs and aahs over the reptiles
BOTTOM: Mum, Steve & I 'attacked' by a snake

We started out at Currumbin Wildlife Park, where we had gone a number of times growing up on our almost yearly Gold Coast holidays, and after decades away from it, found out it had expanded greatly and was no longer just lorikeets descending on eager tourists holding trays of seeds. (I have photos from the mid to late 70s with lorrikeets covering my head!). The park has become a conservation hub, breeding endangered tree kangaroos, among other animals, and it was an absolute delight to take it all in with the entire family around me - my parents, Nanna (mum's mum), siblings and their spouses, and my niece - just like them thar olden times.... well not exactly but even better with all the lovely additions to my family.

Shot 1 (top): All aboard the train!
Shot 2: Steve & I on the train
Shot 3: Zara 'flies'! (in her Dad's arms)
Shot 4: My brother Steve & I get close to a kangaroo

Steve got along famously (as if there was any doubt about that!) with everyone, including most importantly, my mother, who laughed at his jokes, and genuinely seemed to enjoy his company. I was in seventh heaven because I had always wanted to be at a family event with a partner and that moment had finally arrived and it was even better than I had imagined it would be! The morning passed wonderfully easily, Steve laughed as my Nikon gene came into play (I took lots of photos!) and after seeing all the birds, koalas, kangaroos (we even got to pat one!), and even riding the train, we finished up with a delicious lunch at Currumbin itself before heading back home where....

TOP: Everyone ready for lunch
BOTTOM: Mum and I hamming it up at the lorrikeet feeding enclosure

.... we left almost immediately for Robina to help Rachel (my other sister, expecting my soon to be nephew, Brody) pick up a tonne of baby furniture. Inbetween lugging large boxes, we strolled around the massive mall there too, and finished up with yummy donuts and coffees with everyone crammed in together in a mess of chairs and tables. I loved it.

TOP: Mum and my Nanna
BOTTOM: Everyone smile!

After chilling for an hour or so, we then headed down the road from my sister Helen's to a great Korean BBQ place Mum had picked for us to hold her birthday dinner at. The ambience was pleasant, if a little strip mall plastic, but the food was delicious, the service sweet and efficient, and best of all, we had  a lovely time together as a family. I was pleased too that the DVD I had picked out for Mum - an import version of The Blind Side - was a movie many of her friends had recommended she see! All around a wonderful day, capping a delightfully full day.

Top: My lovely Steve & I
Bottom: Zara aloft again, this time in Aimee's arms (my brother's girlfriend)

I love being with my family!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older