Sunday, May 31, 2009

Project 289 - Day 74 (Saturday 30 May 2009) : Bowled Over! ORHappy Birthday Ian!




It appears that, years after I last played it, that I still suck at Ten Pin Bowling.

I am fairly certain that even if there was one pin, in a narrow lane that fitted the bowling ball so snugly it had no choice but to race down said lane, and knock the pin over, that I would suck at the sport. It may have something to d with my preference for brute strength over finesse and skill, or my apparent predilection for the left (and I don't just mean politically!) or the fact that, bar swimming and sprinting, that I have no aptitude for sport whatsoever (yes, viva the gay cliches!). Whatever the cause, I am not good at it at all, and yet, in an act of selfless friendship to rival that of .... um.... all the examples of selfless friendship I can't think of right now, I went to Castle Hill AMF Bowling Lanes, and bowled two straight games to celebrate my friend Ian's birthday.

It was actually fun, and thanks to some coaching from my lovely I managed to post scores of 67 and 86 respectively, evidence that given intensive coaching, and the application of a slow and steady pace (something that doesn't come naturally to me!), that I can improve somewhat.

Fortunately we didn't eat at the bowling lanes - there are limits to my embrace of Ten Pin culture, no matter how good a friend you are! - and retired to Warren's for a gourmet BBQ, lots of wine and a birthday cake that threatened to go into meltdown so laden with sparklers and candles was it. (I wanted it to be pretty!! What I got was a cake that you could probably see from outer space!). I may not be the world's best Ten Pin Bowler, but I have the world's best friends, and while Warren and I appear top be chronically unable to under cater an event (! LOL), we had a fabulous time together, and that's what I will remember.

Not the scores..... definitely not the scores..... pour me some more wine will you? 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older