Sunday, May 24, 2009

Project 289 - Day 68 : IMAX Me Up Scotty


We boldly went today where just about everyone I know has already gone....

STAR TREK. 

I had been meaning to go since it opened but Eurovision, work, and the usual frantic pace of life had kept me from the cineplex doors. Eager to see because (a) I love sci-fi generally, and Star Trek in particular (though not a hard core fan by any means! I can't tell you who played the third ensign from the right in episode 6 of "Next Generation" for instance. Yes shameful I know!); and (b) it was helmed by J J Abrams of "Alias" and "LOST" fame who is brilliantly skilled at making exciting edge-of-your-seat movies that also have a heart and soul and resonating intelligence.

He brought all that and more to this movie which is everything the hype, and my friends' breathlessly gushing reviews had promised. While definitely adhering to the optimistic spirit of the original, it also forged it's own path, re-imagining the original Star Trek characters such as Kirk, Spock, and yes, Scotty, as people with occasionally reckless emotions (yes even logical Spock), and real hopes and dreams. They exist in a universe that starts off as dark and dangerous as our world is right now, and one that alters significantly from established Star Trel lore as the movie unfolds.

The real genius of this movie, and what my lovely guy (who in the photo above is less than impressed that they left the American dating system on the movie publicity material, which means that we are seeing the movie in the future, which is when you think about it, oh so Star Trek!) and I both enjoyed immensely, was the fact that it was a Hollywood movie that managed to combined thrilling action, great character development, and engaging story development in one absolutely satisfying movie that left an audience of grown men and women chattering excitedly like schoolchildren at the end. Feeling like I have had an experience, and not just seen a movie, hasn't happened to me in a long time, and it was a great thing to experience once again, and a fantastic way to end the weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older