Friday, May 20, 2011

Hands Full of Glitter and Tofu : 2011 Day 139 (Thursday 19 May) - Out o' the Cubicle!

Yes I escaped it today but on a totally officially sanctioned work function held at Seargeant's Mess, Chowder Bay, Sydney.

Every year each division where I work holds a major launch for that year's activities to get everyone revved up and focused, and usually while they try their hardest to make it interesting, it really isn't.

The view from the balcony

My lovely friend Lisa who rode the bus with me from work and who is a delight to spend time with

Shawn goofing it up as usual - great guy who likes Far Side, Calvin and Hobbes (both comic strips) and Coldplay, same as me.... gotta be a great guy right? Yup

Lisa and I pose for the camera

But this year was much different. An outside facilitating company, the staff mostly drawn from theatresports and improv., ran proceedings, and they were just hilarious! I had my doubts at the start when the compere got us doing all these bizarre greeting each other ice breakers - it was much like a cult and I said to a friend next to me on my table that 'we should just smile, and do what he says, and escape later!' - but he settled into a less frenetic groove later and at the end of a few presentations, his co-presenters, two very funny guys, would summarise all the talks in a routine that was freakin' hilarious, done very much in the style of Whose Line Is It Anyway? The presentations were for the most part interesting and informative, the food was delicious - scones were of the morning tea options, slow cooked lamb and white beans made it onto the lunch menu and sweet tempura coated prawns with end of day drinks at 3.30.

I can't believe I actually enjoyed a work function but I did....miracle of miracles!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older