Sunday, December 12, 2010

365 Pink Feather Boas All in a Row - Day 346 : This Year's Christmas Tree Decorations

As you all know, I have a great love of Christmas and all things associated including my tree, which I have been putting up every year since 1992 when I finally decided it was high time I had a tree of my own. It was also the year I discovered Hallmark's Christmas ornaments which were a cut above the cheap but cheerful stuff you get in Australian stores, and I bought up big along with old fashioned cotton-wrapped baubles, and some of those afore mentioned cheap but cheerful ornaments.

Since them I have refined substantially how I want the tree to look, and it now reflects one of my great passions in life which is pop culture. So the ornaments, bar the moose ones, and the few I have acquired traipsing around the world, are now of cartoon characters, TV shows, and shows from my youth, all glitzed up with red tinsel (my favourite colour by far) abd sparkly silver glitter baubles. It may look kitsch to the traditionalists, but then I care not for what they think anyway since I rarely dip my toe into the lace-trimmed traditions pool (unless I feel like subverting it just a little.... or a lot!), and besides, I have had way more positive responses than negatives.

Regardless of what others think, the tree goes up, and looks the way it looks because I get a kick out of it, and it makes Christmas just that much more special for me.

So without further ado, here are some of the ornaments, of the many I own, that made the tree this year (along with a shot of my beautiful guy getting one of the shelves on my bright red bookcase Christmas-afied!):


My beautiful guy with Donna the Reindeer (left), and the cloth reindeer I got for my birthday, and the usual cows that inhabit the shelf year round

Good ol' irrascable Daffy Duck!

I love the Muppets! Especially Kermit the Frog

Stewie from Family Guy

More Muppets - the Swedish Chef!

Pinky and the Brain

One of my Heritage Ornaments, as I call them, from 1992

I adore Fozzie (Garfield in the background)

ANIMAL!!!

Santa & a reindeer dancing (bought this in Malaysia of all places in 2004)

The Jetsons

Dear sweet Snuffalapagus - so glad everyone can see you now!

One of the 'cheap and cheerful' ornaments from 1992. I love putting one or two each year onto the tree just for old times sake

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older