Thursday, March 18, 2010

365 Pink Feather Boas All in a Row - Day 77 : At Last a Bridge Not Too Far!

Around about October last year, Cityrail, in their infinite wisdom (yes there is a healthy heapuin' dollop o' sarcasm slathered all over that phrase) decided to rejig their timetable, take away some well timed trains and replace them with other trains not so well spaced to meet ' consumer demand'. Presumably these are the same commuters who like arriving late for work, spend their day around the water cooler, and leave early.... but I digress....

Anyway, one very positive upshot of this change - not that it appeared that way at the time because it added about 5-10 minutes to my trip to the City to catch my bus - was that they reversed the direction the trains travel around the City Circle (the ring of train stations in or near the City Centre, many of which are underground). This meant that instead of hitting Town Hall first after Central, and shortly thereafter the station I alight at (sounds so fairy-like and gay, like I should be trailing glitter and stardust from my business pants!), Wynyard, I instead hit Museum, St James, Circular Quay (the station just near the Opera House) and then Wynyard. The positive part of two extra stations added to to route to the City?
Every day as we sweep into Circular Quay station from the dark underground tunnels that precede it, a wonderful vista opens up in all it sunshiney glory before me - the Harbour Bridge in the near distance rising resplendent as it has for 80 years over the Harbour, the busy ferry terminus, the Museum of Contemporary Art and The Rocks, all awash in the frenetic fury of Sydney busy getting started with yet another working day. However jaded I may get with commuting, when this view slaps me ever so nicely but dramatically in the face with its glorious charm, I drink it all in, and delight in the fact that I live in a city where this amazing sight is a part of my daily commute. Imagine that!
It has me taken me weeks to get these photos because either there are too many people in the carriage or a train is passing through in the other direction blocking the views or I can't get a seat facing the right way, but today, finally, success, and while the photos don't truly do the vie justice, it does illustrate why this view is such a rich and rewarding part of my commute, and a constant reminder that I live in a remarkable, and beautiful city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older