Monday, May 31, 2010

365 Pink Feather Boas All in a Row - Day 148 (Saturday 29 May 2010) : Eurovision 2010 - Day 3 : Glitter Shorts on the Oldest Smurf Around

Eurovision Fest 2010 kicked off into high gear today - yes it is disturbing that I am using a mechanical metaphor for such a camp event! - with Yum Cha at Marigold restaurant in the City with my gorgeous guy, my dear friend Kerry, who's the Eurovision Queen if ever there was one (yes even more than all the gay men she knows, demonstrating how great her enthusiasm is for his fabulous yearly camp fest), and my friend Ellen, who I hadn't seen in ages (as evidenced by the huge number of Empire and Film Ink magazines back issues I gave her to read).
It was, as always - YUMMO! We had dumplings! We had mango pancakes and egg tarts! We had BBQ pork! We also caught up on 6 months of Ellen's life, and had a wonderful time in the middle of the barely controlled chaos that is Marigold.
Full as Shanghai-raised goog, Kerry my yummy guy and I did what any sane rational group of people with a party to get ready for, and not much time to do it in - we went to IKEA! Yes, my home away from home of late thanks to my gorgeous guy's purchase of an IKEA wardrobe and buffet, and IKEA's stupid policy of not reserving anything which means to complete the purchase of any major furniture item, in this case the wardrobe's final part (an adjustable hanging module), you have to make repeated trips. I am dangerously near getting bored by IKEA, which if you know anything of my great love of IKEA furniture is akin to blasphemy. But this trip also meant we could pick up some more Scandinavian food for our Eurovision party so it all worked out well.

Heading home, my gorgeous guy headed home to get some household tasks completed - he's away all week for work at the moment so weekends are his only chance to get things done - and Kerry & I indulged in some lovely relaxing, which in my case meant a much needed nap after another frenetic week. Bliss.
With energy levels somewhat back to normal, my guy arrived just in the nick of the time for semi-final 2 of Eurovision 2010 which was just as tacky and fun as the night before with some very strong acts like Armenia, Azerbaijan (see above) and Turkey. The first countries's songs were among my Top 5 songs and I am so glad they made it in! The surprises for Kerry & I were the successful inclusion of Ireland and Cyprus into the Final, with songs that weren't bad necessarily - just very, VERY ordinary.
Goodness knows what the good voters of Europe were thinking when they didn't include such wonderful acts as Inculto from Lithuania, who sang a very catchy funk song and did a fabulous costume reveal at the end where they whipped off their trendy grey plaid pants to show off glittery silver shorts underneath! (see above, top photo). Easily the best surprise of the night, and a lot of fun too. Naturally in the new, eerily too perfect for words at time Eurovision, they didn't make the final which was a pity. The same fate befell the Netherlands who's song was pure Eurovision kitsch with a song written by the guy who wrote all the Smurfs songs and choreography & set/costume design, straight out of a 70s variety show.While I love the fact that so many songs were great to listen to, and many of the acts made liberal use of pyrotechnics and wind machines (not to mention overwrought lyrcis and song delivery), the fact that so much of the tacky fun is being left out is a pity.
We all had a wonderful night watching all the acts, and passing all sorts of comments about the acts, and I loved having my guy there this time, after a traffic accident meant he arrived after it was all done and dusted the night before.
And what did we do when it was all over? Why we made streamers in Norwegian colours for the party! The first one took a while but with my gorgeous guy's knack for fashioning great party decorations, we had the prototype done in no time and went to bed all ready for the big day ahead!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older