Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Back from the dead (and boy was that coffin cramped)


Well I have recovered from a near fatal attack (OK not really but it sounds suitably dramatic) of the flu which turned the last 2 weeks or so into a (very pleasant at times) haze of Codral cold and flu tablets, enough zinc tablets that I should be able to start mining myself at some stage in the future should I need more money and commodity prices hold firm, and enough Advil to warrant a seat on the board of that company as a major investor. While the dreaded lurgy did earn me a week of work - a good thing at any time - my 'time off' consisted of staring at the TV with my best impersonation of a lobotimised mental patient watching - it pains me to admit this - day time TV! Yes, Yes I know, how could I ? How could I breach that sacred covenant that we all make with ourselves to only watch day time dross....NEVER? It started with the 10.30 a.m. news, which is quite justifiable since knowledge is a good thing, and I should exercise my brain while the rest of my body turns on itself like a few Balkan nations with way too much weaponry and time on their hands, and soon graduated to "Hope and Faith" ( an admittedly B-grade sitcom but I grew to love it - sad I know but it was the Codral I swear!), "Still Standing" (also 2nd tier but really quite anti-establishment and not your typical family sitcom....I like it deliciously subversive style), "Murder She Wrote" (c'mon Angela Lansbury looks like a lovely cuddly grandmother and when you're sick, who doesn't want to soak in such lovely warm maternal-ish images) and bfore I knew it, and impromptu naps permitting, I was watching.....oh God forgive me!!....OPRAH! Who knew so many woman were in need of relationship counselling/makeovers/decent books to read (while sick maybe?)....I , for one, had no idea and I am profoundly changed after watching more episodes than is good for anyone...well, 'profoundly' may be stretching it, but I can now talk about all sorts of Important Issues with suitable Oprah-esque gravitas, and hence, am all the more in demand at dinner parties hosted by those with actual lives and no time to watch day time TV......my dirty little secret is that I am still taping "Still Standing" but not "Oprah".....I do still have some pride, you know.....

Now that I actually feel like myself again - assuming I even know the real me which is debatebale given that Oprah has opened my eyes to how little I know about Important Issues which would have to include me right? - I have decided to start sticking all the photos still in tubs into photo albums as an Urgent Priority, which would be fine if there was only a few rolls but we're talking 3 boxes full, people! 3 BOXES! Yes, I wanted to run of the door screaming but the deadlock was on at the time so that didn't work too well. Must add sanding back the door to my lists of Things To Do.....the wonderful part of the whole exercise, aside from this whacked out idea of mine that organising the photos will be fun, and bring a sense of completeness and joy that hitherto I could only imagine, is that I have photos from the last 3 decades all mixed together! Not the smartest thing to have done but with all the moving I have managed to cram into my 15 years in Sydney, its not surprising....and even though I hardly ever take it, I blame Codral for the mess my photos are in! Yes Codral! Not only does it relieve cold and flu symptoms but it can also be used as a handy scapegoat! I expect to have all my photos in albums shortly before my death in 50 years time, or before the coming of Jesus, which happens to arrive first, assuming of course I never take any more photos, like that'll happen...yep, I'm screwed....

By the way, and with this I conclude I swear, does anyone actually like Tuesdays? It's a nothing day - not quite the start of the week but not even Hump Day.....its suck awkwardly in the middle, kind of like the 2nd year of a uni degree......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older